Friday, April 26, 2013

Life Is Like The Sea... WARNING: this post is not sugar-coated.

Something I've noticed lately...

I have found, in all my tail-bound comings and goings this year, that a true mermaid...

Wait! Lemme back it up.

So, you see the kids, they put on their cute little fabric tails, and we love them because they're adorable. But we know that at least %50 (if not %70 or more) of these boys and girls are going to grow out of their tails, and at the same time grow out of the fantasy of being a mermaid in real life. And that's okay. We still love them.

There are also men and women who'll put on a tail once and say "That was fun. I really enjoyed that," and move on. That's okay, too. Sometimes you need to leave reality for a while and splash around. Nothing wrong with it. Some mers are able to benefit from it (financially or otherwise).

Then, there are still others. you see them, happy as can be, live life in a tail because they can, either because they love it, or because they make money off of it. We love them, too. (Though, we may not always admit it, and sometimes are very envious.)

But then, when all those people have come and gone, we're the ones who are left.

I have found, in all my tail-bound comings and goings (which are few, I'll gladly admit), that

True Merfolk are Born of Tragedy or Strife.

I feel that the thing that pulls a lot of us to the mermaid community, is the bond that we share. Felt, but often unspoken.

-Low Self-Image.

-Health Issues.

-Discrimination.

-Bullying.

-Rape.

-Loss of a Loved One.

One, or all, of these things could be the switch, the trigger, the fork-in-the-road.
We have faced these struggles, maybe even sunk to our knees under the weight of the crashing storm, but every one of us has stood back up and said
"No! I will not cower! I will not walk through life with my head bowed in sorrow. My life is a beautiful gift, and I will spread and share my light until my dying breath." OR
"No! Life is too short, and too precious to spend in sadness. I will be happy, and I will do what I love!"

Our lives are like the sea, and after each passing storm, we rise up with the tide, stronger, brighter, fiercer. We gain a greater capacity to love, and to share love each time we overcome our struggles.

On January 15th, 2012, my older brother was murdered. We don't know why. What I do know is that he would be proud of me for my accomplishments and for the good that I'm doing. He would come up to me at an event, put his arm around my shoulders and say "Way to go, Spot. This is really cool. I'm really proud of you, sis." and he would mean it.
I know that you can overcome your trials.
I know that when you do, you make your Creator joyfully proud of you.

Life is short.

Live.

No comments:

Post a Comment